OLA Track and Field Information
- Please check the practice page for upcoming practices
- Practice will still be at 3:30 (after study hall) to 4:30 every Tuesday and Thursday. Once all the waivers are in, we can head to Larkin Park. Our warmup will be our jog/walk over there. Practice will be as posted on the practice page.
- Pick up will be in the OLA parking lot at 4:30. If you don't come by 5, your child will go to daycare.
- It’s important that you get the waivers back so that we can go to Larkin Park to practice. Many of you have turned them in, but until we have ALL of them, we are stuck on our field, which is small. Email email@example.com if you do not have a form, and I can email one back to you to print and sign.
- If two practices a week is not enough for some of you, we can talk about having a third optional practice and/or customizing a workout for you to do on your own.
- All of the kids will meet in 6A for study hall. This includes 3rd and 4th graders, who will walk over after class. The coaches will pick the kids up from there and head to the field for practice.
- Check this site for updated information. I will post practice information and other information, like results and photos, as the season progresses.
SHIRTS and SHOES
Track shirts are required at meets by CYO rules, but track shoes are optional. We’ll have team technical performance shirts with an OLA track logo this year.
Any light-weight shoe can be worn as long as it is not made to accept spikes. Spikes, or shoes made to take spikes, are illegal in the meets. You can wear your PE shorts as part of the uniform.
For practices, running or athletic shoes and shorts and a t-shirt are great. Of course, wear warmer clothes if it’s cold,and keep a sweatshirt/pants with your backpack so you don’t get cold after working out if the day is on the chillier side.
Please bring your own reusable water bottle to practice. You can bring a sports drink if you’d like, but water is probably the best option. We’ll have to jog with these over to the El Roble track, so keep them reasonable in size. I’ll look into having a water jug on hot days.
If anyone would like to assist in coaching, please let me know. With 3 groups of athletes (distance, sprinters and field athletes), and 6 grades, we can use all the help that we can get!
We will have to provide our own transportation to the meets. In order to transport an athlete to an event, the driver must have a copy of his/her valid driver’s license and proof of insurance in the office. This must be done every season. The kids cannot go to the meets unless this is complete, so the sooner it’s done, the better. The coaches must keep track of this.
There are plenty of college track meets in the area. Pomona/Pitzer and CMS events are great fun to attend and a wonderful learning experience for all. Check their websites for track meet times, but here are few:
- March 3, CMS invitational. *** I will attend this with Lily and Finn (Lily's little brother), so let me know if you want to meet up/sit with us. This will be a fun event. CMS and the other SCIAC teams are really good this year.
- April 14, Pomona Pitzer Invitational
- April 22, SCIAC Champs at Redlands
- May 24-26, Div 3 National Championships at CMC track. A huge event and big deal!
Please let me know of any concerns or any ideas that you have.
I look forward to a fun and rewarding track and field season at OLA this spring!